Rajpal Yadav breaks silence on debt controversy, says “Roughly Rs 25-30 crores” is currently owed
Here's the latest box office buzz making the rounds:
The star addresses the figures surrounding his financial liabilities, the long-running Ata Pata Laapata case and the legal battles he says have continued since 2012.
Adding to this, The star’s comments come at a time when his long-running financial dispute has once again come into focus. In July 2026, the Delhi High Court upheld Rajpal Yadav’s conviction in seven cheque-bounce cases linked to the financing of Ata Pata Laapata . The court reduced his sentence to three months in each case, with the sentences to run concurrently, and also imposed financial penalties.
Meanwhile, The dispute dates back to 2010, when a company invested Rs 5 crores in Ata Pata Laapata . According to the Delhi High Court judgment, an agreement provided for repayment of Rs 8 crores, including the agreed profit, while Rajpal Yadav and his wife Radha Rajpal Yadav had signed as guarantors. The subsequent repayment dispute led to cheque-bounce proceedings that continued for years.
Notably, Against this backdrop, Rajpal has now spoken about the broader picture of his financial obligations. He claimed that his current debt is significantly lower than the highest figure associated with him over the years. "Roughly Rs 25-30 crore rupees. At one point, the figure had reached nearly Rs 50 crore rupees over 15-20 years, but repayments, family responsibilities, and court cases reduced it. Since 2012, when my movie rollout was first stayed by the High Court, I've faced 30-35 cases across different places. But I've always shared I'm entangled, not drowned. Agreements, cheques, or verbal commitments - all are honoured with respect," he shared.
As per the latest buzz, Rajpal also disputed what he described as inflated or inaccurate figures being circulated about the money he has received from others. The star maintained that the financial assistance he received was used appropriately and that he remains committed to returning it. He added, "Whoever helped, I'm deeply grateful. But the figures circulating are misleading. Assistance was used properly and will be returned. The confusion is that people assume amounts without knowing the facts."
In further updates, The star further explained that borrowing and lending money have both been part of his financial journey. He shared that his liabilities accumulated over a period of years while he was also helping others financially. "I've given money to about 150 people, borrowed from 150 as well. In life, when you attempt something big, you may face losses of Rs 10-20 crore rupees, and debts of Rs 10, 20, 30 crore rupees pile up. But you also repay them through your earnings," he shared.
On top of that, Rajpal’s comments come shortly after another financial development involving his properties. Earlier this month, the Central Bank of India initiated recovery proceedings over reported outstanding dues of Rs 16.61 crore rupees and issued notices concerning properties in Shahjahanpur. An online auction has been scheduled for September 9 if the dues are not cleared.
The star’s comments about cheques also touch upon the broader context of his long-running legal battles. While cheque-bounce cases have formed a significant part of the proceedings against him, Rajpal shared he views the existence of cheques as evidence of financial agreements and commitments rather than an indication of an intention to avoid repayment. "If cheques are in circulation, it means agreements were made. That itself is proof of honesty - whether for guarantee or security. Money doesn't belong to one kitchen alone; the kitchens of 140 crore rupees people in this country depend on circulating money," he shared.
Source: Bollywood Hungama